“There’s been an awakening. Have you felt it?”
These are the first words spoken in the trailer, by a mysterious, evil sounding dude. Who could it be? There’s a ton of speculation that it’s Benedict Cumberbatch, possibly confirming involvement in the film. Others think it’s Andy Serkis, which makes more sense (he’s actually in the film), but I’d kill for it to be Mr. Cumberbatch. The voice does sound like his Smaug voice from the Hobbit.
The next thing we see is John Boyega, sweaty, and wearing a Storm Trooper outfit. Is he running from something? Running to something? Why is he wearing the suit? Here’s my thoughts:
- He’s a Storm Trooper. I’m really hophng he is. A main character Storm Trooper? That’d be sincerely interesting. It’s something we’ve never seen before.
- He was or is infiltrating the ranks of the Storm Troopers (The closest we ever see to unmasked Storm Troopers is Luke and Han in the suits. It’s not ever seen in the original trilogy.)
- What’s he running from? If you play the trailer real closely, you hear what sounds like an Imperial Probe droid…
- He clearly doesn’t know where he is, so I’m pretty sure he’s on the lam. He’s rumored to be the central hero, but is he a Jedi? A Storm Trooper? Neither? Can’t wait to find out…
Next is the dumb new droid: I hate it. It looks like a soccer ball. Can it be a “B4-L1” droid? I’d get a kick out of that name. Otherwise, it’s dumb. The rumor is it belongs to Daisy Ridley’s character, but there’s no solid facts, yet.
Next we see the new Storm Trooper helmets (the designs were leaked recently, this confirms their authenticity. What else is real?) They appear to be preparing to be deployed. But what’s that? The one in the middle looks… A little short. Could it be John Boyega? Or (as would happen with the Empire not having used Clones since the Clone Wars) it’s just a short Storm Trooper. One or the other.
Cut to the Storm Troopers being deployed, and a quick glimpse of the Storm Trooper’s Blaster. Is this scene the rumored scene where Storm Troopers burn down a village? The rumor appears to be about John Boyega’s character being chased by a Sith, and in the rumored scene, a Storm Trooper is killed and the village is burned down. The village is apparently the home of Daisy Ridley’s character, Kira, and would parallel Luke’s experience with the Empire in A New Hope, having his home burned down and his family killed. Instead of looking for droids, they’re probably looking for John Boyega.
Top: Concept art of the Speeder seen in the trailer. Now cut to Daisy Ridley on a cool speeder, wearing what appears to be a Storm Trooper Helmet piece for goggles. This might prove the concept art of the AT-AT walker being repurposed into a hut might actually be a thing. And it makes sense. If you leave enough of these things around, they eventually will find a purpose. I like this idea alot. Also, this speeder that Daisy Ridley is riding looks to be the same one as the old concept art. And she looks behind her in fear… Is she being chased? Is this before or after the destruction of her village?
Next we cut to a scene of Oscar Isaac in an X-Wing. The new X-Wings are gorgeous! Oscar Isaac’s Rebel Alliance wingsuit is definitely nice looking (and if you look closely, there’s Aurebesh writing on his jacket. It’s been revealed by twitter user @Cevan77 that it reads, “Pull To Inflate.” God I hope that’s real.
The next shot of the X-Wings reveals they’re probably on another planet. How many worlds are going to be introduced in this film? I’m hoping for at least three. The desert planet has been revealed by Abrams to NOT be Tattooine, but there is evidently a desert planet. This shot is over water, but that doesn’t mean it’s a whole new world entirely. I hope it is, however. I don’t want this film to be tethered to one or two worlds, I want the story to move around a lot. It is Star Wars, you know.
The Benedict Cumberbatch-y narrator returns and says, “The Dark Side, and the Light.” Let me put it all together for you. “There’s been an awakening. Have you felt it? The Dark Side and the Light.” Does this mean new Jedi and Sith are “waking up,” so to speak? Or are older forces being reawakened. Luke? An old Sith? Who knows what the specifics are, but evidently Luke is making a comeback. And then there’s this guy.
At first I was making fun of this, saying how it looks dangerous and hard to use, but a friend of mine, Karyn Capron, pointed out, “Dangerous, or indicating the required skill of the bearer?” And that’s true. he must be really good to not hurt himself swinging that around. Who is this? Adam Driver? Andy Serkis? I can’t wait to learn more about this guy. What I can take away is this: This is definitely not the sand planet. This is somewhere new. And Hoth didn’t really have forests, did it? So it’s not there… We’ll have to wait and find out. This matches the leaked concept art below:
What next? THE SCORE! CUE THE JOHN WILLIAMS, LET’S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!
So what have we seen?
- No Stars in Star Wars, meaning, no space battles, travel or anything. That doesn’t mean we won’t see it (we will), just noting the lack of it.
- The Falcon has some upgrades [And Zac, I think that’s why it looks off. -Chuck] including a new radar dish (the original was circular, this one’s rectangular), the thruster flames? Now is a cool grid of emission ports instead, Now there’s some kind of grid of emission ports there. It remains to be seen if this means the ship acts/behaves differently with some kind of mechanical O.S. upgrade or is simply a cosmetic overhaul. Looks cool either way.
- None of the original cast appears. Not even C-3P0 or R2-D2. They’re saving them for a better reveal.. I’m dying to see them!
- The title lacks the “episode” portion of the title; is Disney dropping it entirely?
- We’re left with more questions. What is the soccer ball droid up to? Can it do anything other than roll? What are the scary Storm Troopers preparing to do? Is that Adam Driver’s new villain in the snow? Who is he preparing to fight? Is Driver narrating this trailer and doing an effective Smaug impression? Is the voice Andy Serkis? Is it Benedict Cumberbatch? Is the lake-planet the same planet as the snow planet? Or the desert planet? Is John Boyega a good Storm Trooper, a bad Storm Trooper or a pretend Storm Trooper? Why is he so freaked out and sweaty? Was he one of the troopers in the shuttle? Are we supposed to think his Force powers are awakening? Is Han Solo piloting the Falcon in that terrific looping roller-coaster shot and, if so, can we see him please? Where is Daisy Ridley — the presumed Princess Leia offspring — going on that awkward-looking land speeder? Are these planets separate? Or is there more than one type of terrain? And why is every Star Wars planet singular in their terrain type?
Anyone else have more questions you’d like answered? See something I missed? Leave your comments below!